James J. Sarconi
James J. Sarconi, a shareholder with O'Reilly Rancilio and member of the Board of Directors, focuses his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, banking and finance, commercial loan workouts, and the representation of creditors in bankruptcy and other insolvency proceedings.
The diversity of practice areas for which he has experience coupled with the variety of unique fact patterns for which he has had to contend provides him with the tools necessary to evaluate and assess risks. More importantly, Mr. Sarconi is equipped with the ability to foresee loan servicing and liquidation problems before they occur across a myriad of lending vehicles. His practice extends to real estate finance, documentation, and asset securitization. He also focuses a significant portion of his practice to helping owners of closely-held businesses navigate their way through growing pains and shareholder disputes.
A well-known and highly-regarded attorney who represents both sellers and buyers of commercial debt instruments, clients routinely seek out Mr. Sarconi's help with complex legal matters. His evaluation skills are critical in determining the enforceability of loan documents, collectability of borrowers and guarantors, and the possible value of collateral on disposition, as well as in structuring loan sale agreements and sale-leaseback transactions. Clients also routinely seek his assistance with performing due diligence relative to real property as well as personal property (Article 9) transactions.
Mr. Sarconi earned his Juris Doctor Degree from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law in 2003. He earned the "Rising Star" Super Lawyer distinction continuously from 2010-2018. In 2019-2022, he was named a Super Lawyer.
He practices in Michigan, the U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Michigan, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He is also a member of the Michigan Bar Association and Macomb County Bar Association.
A childhood injury and corresponding exposure to litigation at the tender age of six led to Mr. Sarconi's interest in law. Mr. Sarconi, “Jim” once you meet him, is easy-going and has a sense of humor, which he often tries to use to help his clients feel comfortable and confident when dealing with the complexities of the legal system. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife Amy and their two young children, watching action films, and spending time with their Sheepadoodle, Mollie. He's also a sports car enthusiast and college football fan.
- Michigan, 2003
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit, 2005
- Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, Columbus, Ohio
- Michigan State University
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, Michigan Super Lawyers Magazine, 2010-2019
- Michigan Super Lawyers Magazine, 2019-2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Macomb County Bar Association
- ABA Regional Negotiation Competition, Finalist, 2002-2003
- ABA National Moot Court Competition, Finalist, 2003 - present
- Chelsea Park Subdivision Homeowners Association, Board Member, 2007-2014
- St. Peter Lutheran Church and School (Macomb) Board of Finance, Board Member, 2016-Present
- St. Peter Lutheran Church and School (Macomb) Chairman, Board of Finance, 2018-Present
- St. Peter Lutheran Church and School (Macomb) Church Council, Board Member, 2018-Present
- Sterling Heights Drug Free Coalition, Member