Lori K. Smith
Lori K. Smith, who focuses her practice on all aspects of Family Law, has successfully represented clients in divorce, child custody, spousal and child support, and other proceedings. She also has experience in helping clients seeking adoption, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, and similar family law matters.
Since family law hits so close to home, Lori takes time to ensure her clients understand the complex legal process from beginning to end. She concentrates her practice on family law matters only so that she is well-versed in the field and fully up-to-date with any changes.
A believer in community service, Lori is involved in multiple charitable and nonprofit organizations. She is the Immediate Past-President of the Macomb County Bar Association and a former President and current Director of the Macomb County Bar Foundation. Lori is the current President for the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Macomb Region, President of the Friends of the Macomb County Veterans’ Treatment Court 501(c)(3) and President of the Macomb County Mental Health Court Charitable Foundation 501(c)(3). She also serves on the Advisory Council for the Capuchin Soup Kitchen Jefferson House and as an assistant coach for the Sterling Heights Adaptive Softball League. In addition, Lori is active with Miss Amazing Michigan a national non-profit organization that is a self-esteem movement for girls and women with disabilities.
A Macomb County native, Lori graduated from Utica High School before earning a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Walsh College and her Juris Doctorate from Thomas M. Cooley Law School.
- State Bar of Michigan, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Walsh College of Business, Bachelor of Business Administration
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Juris Doctorate, 2008
- MCBA Pro Bono Award: Low Income, 2010-2011
- Super Lawyers Magazine Rising Star
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Top 10 under the age of 40
- 2019 Integrity in Our Community Recipient
- 2023 Michigan Lawyers Weekly Influential Women of Law honoree
Memberships & Appointments
- Macomb County Bar Association, Immediate Past President
- Macomb County Bar Foundation, Director, Past President
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Macomb Region President
- Friends of the Macomb County Veterans Treatment Court, Secretary
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Division
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Family Law Certificate Program
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Contributor
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Wayne County Family Law Bar Association