Small Business Sustainability Grants Available in Macomb County
A plan to distribute $20 million in small business sustainability grants using federal CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security) Act funding is available to Macomb County small business owners who meet certain criteria. The Macomb County Planning and Economic Development (MCPED) department will lead the grant program, which will benefit businesses affected by the shutdown during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The grants are part of the Macomb County CARES for Small Business Program, a $70 million initiative made possible through the county’s $152 million allocation of federal CARES Act funding. The program includes PPE kit distribution, grants, and a variety of efforts to prepare organizations for safe opening operations and future emergency preparedness needs.
Each grant will be $5,000. MCPED anticipates the funding will provide direct relief to 4,000 businesses in Macomb County. The grant application is available at www.MacombBusiness.com through June 24 at 11:59 p.m. Small businesses can apply for funds if they meet the following criteria:
- Must have a physical location in Macomb County (office/building/store front).
- Employee size is 1-49 employees.
- Must be a for-profit organization.
- Business must have a valid Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Business must have been in business for at least 12 months.
- Business must showcase a verifiable need for working capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses and/or other similar expenses that occur in the ordinary course of business.
- Businesses must be able to verify they have been negatively impacted or experienced a loss in revenue or business due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
An application must also include:
- A signed W-9 form within the last 12 months.
- A recent utility bill (within the last 6 months) that lists the business address. This can be rent or mortgage payment, water, gas, electric or phone bill.
- A signed and dated affidavit.
- Businesses will be notified of their grant status no later than July 1. Funds will be distributed starting July 2.