MIOSHA: Masks No Longer Required for Vaccinated Workers
The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) COVID-19 emergency rules were updated recently to reflect a reduction in COVID-19 cases.
The changes include:
- Masks are no longer required when indoors if the employee is fully vaccinated.
- Masks are not required if the employee (regardless of vaccination status) is able to maintain 6 feet of social distance from other people.
- Daily self-screening protocols are no longer required for visitors.
- If the employer is excusing vaccinated employees from the mask rules, records of vaccination information must be maintained.
- All required records must be maintained for six months, rather than one year.
What has not changed:
- Employers are still required to have a safety/preparedness plan in effect.
- Daily self-screening protocols are still required for employees and contractors entering the workplace.
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting protocols must remain in place.
- Masks must be provided for unvaccinated employees and unvaccinated employees must maintain 6 feet of social distance from others.
- Employees must still be trained regarding all of the rules. Employers must maintain a record of all employee training regarding COVID-19, and all health screenings for non-vaccinated employees and contractors entering the workplace.
MIOSHA’s guidance allows the employer to decide how to enforce mask wearing for employees who are not vaccinated. Examples include:
- Keeping records of whether employees are fully vaccinated, and exempting them from the mask rules.
- Posting signs reminding employees who are not fully vaccinated to wear face coverings and maintaining appropriate distancing.
- Allow or require remote work.
- Require face coverings and social distancing for all employees, regardless of vaccination status.
Help is available
To read more about the specific changes, visit the MIOSHA website by clicking here. For questions related to the new regulations and standards, please call the attorneys at O’Reilly Rancilio at 586-726-1000 or visit our website at www.orlaw.com.