Serving Southeast Michigan For Over 30 Years.

New Law Allows for Cameras on School Busses

Due to a new Michigan law, it is now easier to ticket drivers who pass a stopped school bus that is displaying red flashing lights.

A new law amends the Michigan Vehicle Code to allow a school bus to be equipped with a stop-arm camera system. A photograph or video recorded by the stop-arm camera is now admissible as evidence in a proceeding for a violation of the Michigan Vehicle Code.

Under the code, the operator of a vehicle that in approaching a school bus that has stopped and is displaying its flashing red lights must stop his or her vehicle at least 20 feet from the bus and may not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or the flashing lights are turned off.

A driver who passes the school bus or fails to stop as required is responsible for a civil infraction. Cameras installed on the outside of the busses will make those drivers easier to identify and ticket.

In addition to the installation of cameras, safety is further enhanced on school busses by two amendments to the Pupil Transportation Act. The first amendment prohibits unauthorized individuals from entering a school bus without the driver’s permission. Authorized people include the following individuals:

  • Students;
  • A person enrolled in a school-sponsored preschool program;
  • A teacher or other school employee;
  • A chaperone of the students authorized by the school; and
  • A person authorized by a school or the operator of a school bus for the protection of property or the health, safety, and welfare of the people on the school bus.

Signage, in the form of a permanent sticker affixed to the side of the school bus, will read as follows: “An unauthorized person attempting to board or boarding this school bus is subject to citation for a civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of no more than $500.”

Help is available

The municipal attorneys at O’Reilly Rancilio represent police departments and school districts throughout southeast Michigan. For more information about this new law, please call 586-726-1000 or visit our website at

Categories: Municipal

For More Information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Press Room

Congratulations to O’Reilly Rancilio founding member, attorney John Nitz, on receiving Distinguished Volunteer recognition from Advancing Macomb. Mr. Nitz is a fou… Read More
Attorney Sean M. Colonna has joined O’Reilly Rancilio P.C. as an associate in the firm’s estate planning, business law, and litigation and disputes practice area… Read More
Read More From Our Press Room


The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) recently posted updated and expanded technical assistance related to the COVID-19 pandemic, addressing questi… Read More
Business owners want to know where you shop, what products you like, what you may want to buy in the future, and much more. Data brokers are companies that utilize t… Read More
Read More From Our Blog