John A. Nitz
John Nitz is one of southeast Michigan’s most respected attorneys, having served the community for more than 40 years. A founding member of O’Reilly Rancilio, he has served as both director and officer of the law firm in the past.
Mr. Nitz has experience helping many manufacturing and service businesses with their legal matters, including sales and acquisitions. In addition, he assisted in drafting the original Michigan Franchise Act and represented a number of franchisees locally and nationally.
A lifelong resident of Macomb County, Mr. Nitz was honored to have coordinated the work of several law firms in the drafting of the Macomb County Charter, and to have served as general counsel to the Macomb County Charter Commission and special counsel to the first elected county executive.
Active in the community, Mr. Nitz has been involved with many organizations, including: the Warren Consolidated School District and Warren Consolidated Schools Foundation; the Warren, Center Line, and Sterling Heights Chamber(s) of Commerce; Warren Rotary Club; Leadership Macomb, which he helped to found; Utica Community Schools Foundation for Educational Excellence; Friends of the Octagon House; and more.
Many families have trusted Mr. Nitz with their estate planning and trust administration services. He has helped many clients facilitate the transfer of wealth and assets successfully to their children and grandchildren throughout the years.
In his free time, Mr. Nitz enjoys traveling with his wife and family. He’s visited every continent (except Antarctica) and collects interesting art from his trips. China was one of the countries he enjoyed most. Although he’s traveled the world, he works only a few miles from his childhood home. A University of Michigan graduate, Mr. Nitz is proud to be a Michigan Wolverine.
- Michigan, 1968
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1968
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
B.A. with distinction, 1965
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Macomb Bar Association
- Greater Detroit Financial and Estate Planning Council
- Estate Planning Council of Macomb
- Michigan Council of School Attorneys
- State Bar of Michigan
– Business Section
- Warren Consolidated Schools
– Member of the Board of Education, 1970-1977, Secretary and President
- Warren/Centerline/Sterling Heights Chamber of Commerce
- Utica Community Schools Foundation
- Warren Consolidated Schools Foundation
- University of Michigan Alumni Club of Greater Detroit
- Warren Rotary Club
- Friends of the Octagon House
- Leadership Macomb, Inc.
– President and Director
- Leadership Detroit, Inc.
- Leaders Advancing Macomb
- Detroit Athletic Club
- Pi Sigma Alpha